Thursday, March 1, 2012

(Jodi) About Last Night

Last night our Vision Team got together to start brainstorming ideas for our team led activities in Guatemala. There were so many great ideas and creative ways to introduce the students to us and our lives in Minnesota. We wanted the activities to be fun, interesting and a new experience for student aged kids. We're focusing on 3 ideas: Letters from a Minnesota 3rd Grade Class, a Scavenger Hunt that involves beads and making really cool jewelry and finally a highly spirited wiffle ball game. We're really excited and hope these ideas will come to life as we have envisioned.

We were recently introduced again to the daily activities that we will be involved in. Each day will include 2, 4 hour sessions. We'll sign up for those activities when we get there but to give an idea: construction, warehouse work, a day in the life activities, our team led activities and much more. I personally can't wait to sign up for the day in the life because that involves shadowing a local person and doing what they do! It's a great way to totally immerse oneself in the culture and understand what life is like.

I have been thinking a lot about what it might be like to be a woman in Guatemala. Obviously I know what my role is in American society, and I'm betting the role my female counterpart plays in Guatemala won't be that much different. Women represent many things and play many roles in society but we are mostly gatherers (not hunters) and nurturers for the family unit. I can't wait to put my theory to the test and make a real-life connection with one of my Guatemalan sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment